Thursday, August 30, 2012

Vegetarian Chili with Avocado Salsa


I realize it is still 110 degrees outside... but I still made chili for dinner tonight. I am ready for some cooler weather and all the Fall food that comes along with it. This is a really yummy chili recipe that is different then most. It's a vegetarian chili topped with a fresh avocado salsa. I got the recipe from my Mom, who always made this for us. However, I think it originally came from Cooking Light. This time I made it I added some corn to the recipe.

Ingredients:

-2 teaspoons canola oil
-1 cup onion, chopped
-1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
-2 teaspoons chili powder
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-1 4.5oz can diced green chiles
-2/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
-1/4 cup water
-1 15oz can black beans, drained
-1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
-1/2 cup frozen corn
-1 14oz can vegetable broth
-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
-1 lime, cut into wedges
-Tortilla chips
-Avocado salsa (recipe below)

Directions:

Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until tender. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, and green chiles. Saute 1 minutes. Stir in the barley, water, tomatoes, corn and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer. Cook about 20 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in cilantro. Serve with lime wedges, chips, and avocado salsa.



Avocado Salsa

-1 avocado, cubed
-1/3 cup tomato, seeded and chopped
-1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
-1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded and diced
-1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
-1/8 teaspoon sea salt

 Toss together in a bowl and serve over the chili.


1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!