Saturday, November 10, 2012

Granola with Coconut, Pistachios, and Cranberries


I saw a recipe for Toasted Muesli in my Whole Living magazine and was excited to try it. However, I was unable to find the millet that it called for when I was at the store, so I improvised. You can find the original recipe here. I left out the millet and added wheat germ, flax seed, chia seed, and cinnamon. This makes a great healthy breakfast or snack. Eat is plain or serve with yogurt, milk, or fresh fruit.
I was originally unsure the difference between Muesli and Granola, however I believe that most muesli is not sweetened with honey and toasted. So I am just going to call mine granola...


Ingredients:
  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 cup shelled pistachios
  • 1/3 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup flax seed
  • 1/4 cup chia seed
  • 2/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl toss together the oats, coconut, pistachios, wheat germ, and seeds. Then is a small saucepan over medium high heat whisk together honey, coconut oil, salt, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Pour over the granola mixture and toss to coat. Spread the granola onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. I tossed my granola halfway through baking. Remove from the oven and let cool. Toss in the dried cranberries. Store in an airtight container.

This is a great basic recipe that can be altered to create new granola recipes. You could replace the pistachios with any other kind of nut or even chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!