Friday, July 29, 2011

Homemade Play Dough

My mom always made us homemade play dough when we were little. This is an edible recipe just in case some of it goes into the mouth, however I don't think it will taste very good. With this recipe you mix the food coloring into the water and oil. So with each batch you have one color. I make it like that most of the time, however yesterday when I made it I wanted to make several colors for Hudson without having to cook a bunch of batches. I left out the food coloring at first and then kneaded food coloring gel into the dough once it was cooked. I also doubled the recipe from below.


Mix together in a medium sized non-stick pot 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup salt, 4 tablespoons cream of tarter, 2 cups water, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Cook over medium high heat, while stirring. It will be very soupy at first.
It will start to stick together, keep stirring, I promise it will turn into play dough and not just a globby mess!
Remove from the pot and knead on a lightly floured surface. Your dough should look like this after it is done.

Now divide the dough into balls and drop food coloring gel into the centers of each ball. I used Wilton food coloring gels and then added some cake decorating food gels to brighten up some of the colors. Knead the food coloring into the dough until the color is even. You may want to wear a pair of plastic gloves for this to keep the food coloring from staining your hands.
Here it is, ready to be played with. Some play dough tool ideas that you can find around the house: cookie cutters, rolling pin, plastic knives, forks, straws, toothpicks, potato masher, muffin tin, and anything else you can find! Store in a ziploc bag or airtight container.


Here is the original recipe:
Mix together in a medium pot:
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 2 tablespoons cream of tarter
Combine and add:
Cook over medium heat and stir about 3 to 5 minutes. It will look like a "globby" mess and you'll think it is not turning out...but it will. When it forms a ball in the center of the pot, take it and knead it on a lightly floured surface. Store in an airtight container or plastic bag.  This recipe is from an old kids cookbook that my Mom gave me called, Feed Me I'm Yours. 

Linking up HERE!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!